Processing Fresh Pumpkins

I grew sweet pumpkins in the garden this year. I’ve grown pumpkins for jack-o-lanterns before but have never grown pumpkins to eat. I planned to use them in pies and muffins so they needed to be cooked, pureed and frozen for later use.




To bake the pumpkins, I cut them each in half and scooped out the seeds and stringy middles. I placed them cut-side down on parchment lined baking sheets. They were baked for about 1 ¼ hours.



After the pumpkins were cool, the pumpkin was scooped from the skins and pureed in a food processor until smooth.


I then measured out recipe-size portions into zip-top bags and stored them in the freezer.  Each small pumpkin, about 8 inch diameter, made about enough pumpkin puree for one pumpkin pie.

That’s it! Easy peasy.

Cindy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Corn Tortillas

Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread

Namaste Gluten Free Product Reviews and PRIZE GIVEAWAY