Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts are one of those vegetables that you either love or hate. I really like them. My husband loathes them.


I found fresh brussels sprouts on the stem at the grocery store this week, and I had to get a stem. I just couldn’t help myself.

This recipe adds delicious, salty-sweet richness to the brussels sprouts. With the amount of cashews I used, this dish makes a filling lunch. If you’re serving this as a side dish, I would recommend either reducing or omitting the cashews.

Starting with sprouts still on the stem is a little more work, but they taste better when they’re fresh. Sprouts that have been sitting around for a long time after harvest have a stronger, sharper flavor. If you can’t find really fresh sprouts, frozen brussels sprouts are good, too.

To begin preparing the brussels sprouts, cut the sprouts away from the stem and give them a quick rinse.

Cut each in half and set aside.

Lightly toast the cashews in a pan for just a few minutes, and set aside.

Place the bacon pieces in the pan, and fry until crispy. Set aside. I was using pre-cooked bacon, so there was very little grease left in the pan, but drain excess grease if necessary.

Add oil and butter to pan, and saute brussels sprouts, uncovered, over medium heat until lightly browned and barely cooked, about five minutes. Overcooking brussels sprouts can really bring out the sulfurous flavors that most people find objectionable.

Combine the water, balsamic vinegar, and brown sugar, add to the pan with the brussels sprouts. 


Stir until all brussels sprouts are coated and the liquid has reduced to a syrup, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.  This recipe serves one as a meal, or serves 2 as a side dish if the cashews are reduced or omitted.



Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cashews

9 Brussels sprouts, halved
1 strip bacon, cut or broken into small pieces
¼ cup cashews
1 teaspoon vegetable oil of choice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt & pepper to taste

Printable Recipe


If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think.  I would appreciate your comments.

Cindy

Please visit the Hearth and Soul Hop at Premeditated Leftovers for additional recipes.

Comments

  1. Haha, we're the opposite. My husband loves brussels sprouts, but I can't stand even the smell of them cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to agree with you about the smell. As much as I like the way they taste, they really do smell terrible when cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for them but you made them look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your brussels sprouts look delicious! I grew them this year, it was so fun. they are such an interesting plant. I still have Brussels sprouts in my veggie bin, so I will have to give your recipe a try. I really like the addition of nuts. Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish sounds mouthwatering! I love brussel sprouts with bacon, but I've never added nuts, and cashews are my favourite. I like the addition of the balsamic vinegar too. Thank you for sharing this delicious, seasonal recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Corn Tortillas

Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread

Namaste Gluten Free Product Reviews and PRIZE GIVEAWAY