Cranberry Sauce

My childhood Thanksgivings always included canned jellied cranberry sauce.  You know, the kind that you can push out of the can and slice. 

There's nothing wrong with canned cranberry sauce, but making cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries is so easy.  And I think it tastes better.  I like the chunky texture of my homemade cranberry sauce and the not-too-sweet tartness of it. 

And best of all, it can be made a couple of days ahead of time.


Cranberry Sauce

1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries (nearly 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water

Combine ingredients in a 2-quart saucepan.  Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.  Remove cover, stir, and simmer (uncovered) for 5 to 10 minutes.  Mash cranberries with the back of a large spoon.  Allow to cool, store in the refrigerator in a covered container.

Printable Version

Comments

  1. Hi, Cindy
    Noticed your note over on Suzie R's blog, & wanted to stop by!! I've been GF for ~ 18 months now - woo hoo! Fun to see you're also in the NW (I'm in Oregon)
    I'm one who had asked Suzie if she'd considered going GF, as there is often a link with Fibro ... I'm sorry she did't have more success with that.

    I joined my daughter & her family in going GF, so my granddaughters (then 4 & 9) would find it easier. They have done wonderfully, & are so careful! The 10 year old went off anti-seizure meds last summer, & the younger girl is so much happier & calmer! I lost 20 #, & the other day my dau & I were comparing low backs - we used to have too much curve, & now they're normal!

    I too love making cranberry sauce & just made some this morning. I like to use apple cider for the liquid, & this winter began using up some jam (I rarely use it on GF goodies) - in this case raspberry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (not the one who asked most recently!! I suggested it in the past, ... )

    Oh, & I like adding some dried fruit to the cranberries a-cooking - raisins, even quince - which taste like pears when dried!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Corn Tortillas

Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread

Namaste Gluten Free Product Reviews and PRIZE GIVEAWAY