Lupus Lethargy

I had such grand plans for this blog when I started it a couple of months ago. I intended to add a post and a new recipe at least once a week. But as sometimes happens, life intervened.

I have Lupus. The systemic inflammation has been flaring for the past few months, and I am just too dang tired and achy to do all the things I want to do.

Or even to do very much at all, some days.

And while I do have some yummy gluten-free recipes to share, I’m terrible at measuring when I cook, so I don’t have much in writing. Before I share recipes, I really should measure the ingredients properly and document what I’m doing.

For now, though, here are a couple of really quick and easy meals for those too-tired-to-cook nights. The first is a pasta bake that I make with store bought convenience foods, like marinara sauce from a jar and pre-made meatballs.

But be careful of those pre-made meatballs. Many contain breadcrumbs. I use the aidells brand meatballs found in the refrigerated case at the market.


Pasta Bake

½ lb. uncooked brown rice pasta spirals
1 ½ cups water
1 cup marinara sauce
½ of a 12 oz package aidells sun-dried tomato meatballs

Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
Pour first three ingredients into dish, and stir lightly.
Add meatballs on top, cover and bake for 1 hour.
Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Makes two servings.


The other meal I especially liked this week was an open-faced ham and cheese on cornbread sandwich. It’s a great way to use up that 2 day old stale cornbread when you didn’t get around to putting it in the freezer.

Open-faced Ham & Cheese on Cornbread
GF Cornbread, sliced about ¾ inch thick
Butter, or trans-fat free margarine
sliced ham
sliced cheddar, or your favorite cheese
Mustard, your favorite kind
Honey

Butter one side of each slice of cornbread
Place slices in medium-hot pan, buttered side up, for a few minutes.
Place ham slices in pan to heat.
Turn cornbread over, and drizzle a little mustard and honey on each slice.
Top with grilled ham and a slice of cheese.
Cover and cook a couple of minutes to melt cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homemade Corn Tortillas

Whole Grain Gluten Free Bread

Namaste Gluten Free Product Reviews and PRIZE GIVEAWAY